What is Jira?
Jira is a project management, bug tracking, issue tracking software tool.
It is commonly used for software development and testing. Jira itself provide Agile methodology and because of these many of the famous companies are using JIRA for project management and development as well as testing purpose.
History about Jira
It was developed by Atlassian in 2002 by Mike Cannon-Brookes and Scott Farquhar. The product name originated from the Japanese word “Godzilla” and previously only used for Bug tracking. Later they released Jira software and JSD. it has been written in java.
Why do we use JIRA?
There are many reasons to use Jira as a standard tool for development and testing below are the few reasons listed:
- It provides various features that are not available in other software in one place.
- It is available for trial version and up to 10 license is free for basic uses.
- Using this tool you will be easily able to track the progress of multiple projects in one go without any other software.
- It can be easily customizable as per the business need.
- It have very good licensing policy.
- Atlassian itself provide online supports if you have premium partnership.
- It is available in both server as well as cloud version.
- It can be integrated with many applications like MS Team, Clarity, Github, Gitlab, ServiceNow, HPLAM etc.
Note: From February 2, 2024, Atlassian will not provide support for Server version Jira.
Three main application of Jira
- Jira core
- Jira Software
- Jira Service Desk (JSD)
Jira core used for general business project tracking, task tracking, task management, and reporting. Core application basically used by “Marketing, HR, Operational and Finance teams.
Jira Software is somehow similar to the Jira core with additional features which can be very useful for the development team having agile and kanban methodology. Basically used by software developers, product owners, Testing and Quality analyst as well as Develops team.
Jira Service Desk (JSD):
JSD is one type of ticketing tool from which customer can raise their demand and the Agent will check the demand. after checking the demand agent will provide or fulfill the demand of the client and the client will get notified in the JSD.
If you found this article useful please provide your valuable feedback in the below comment box EduTaxTuber!