SYNOPSIS: Pan will become inoperative if not linked with Aadhar. Consequences of inoperative pan – No Income Tax Refund will be issued, No interest on income tax refund, TDS will be deducted at higher rates, the pan will become inoperative from 1st July, 2023. If you haven’t linked pan with Aadhar then do link now.
Circular no. 03 of 2023
F. No. 370142/14/2022-TPL
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, Dated the 28th March, 2023
Sub.: Consequences of PAN becoming inoperative as per the newly substituted rule 114AAA – reg.
SYNOPSIS: Link Aadhar with Pan by Paying penalty of Rs. 1,000. Pan and Aadhar linking date extended. Link you PAN and Aadhar Now by paying Fine. Linking Aadhar with PAN is now mandatory as per the Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, if you have not linked yet now then still you have a…
Consequent to the notification substituting rule 1I4AAA of the Income-tax Rules, 1962 (the Rules) vide notification no. 15 of 2023 dated 28th March, 2023, it is hereby clarified that a person who has failed to intimate the Aadhaar number in accordance with section 139AA of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (the Act) read with rule 114AAA shall face the following consequences as a result of his PAN becoming inoperative:
(i) refund of any amount of tax or part thereof, due under the provisions of the Act shall not be made to him
(ii) interest shall not be payable to him on such refund for the period, beginning with the date specified under sub-rule (4) of rule 114AAA and ending with the date on which it becomes operative;
(iii) where tax is deductible under Chapter XVJJ-B in case of such person, such tax shall be deducted at higher rate, in accordance with the provisions of section 206AA;
(iv) where tax is collectible at source under Chapter XVJJ-BB in case of such person, such tax shall be collected at higher rate, in accordance with the provisions of section 206CC.
- These consequences shall take effect from 1st July, 2023 and continue till the PAN becomes operative. A fee of one thousand rupees will continue to apply to make the PAN operative by intimating the Aadhaar number
- The consequences of PAN becoming inoperative shall not be applicable to those persons
who have been provided exemption from intimating Aadhaar number under the provisions of
sub-section (3) of section 139AA of the Act.
This is in supersession of the Circular No. 07 of2022 of CBDT dated 30th March, 2022.
P. Amruth varshini
Under Secretary (TPL-IV), CBOT
- PS to FMI OSD to FMI PS to MoS(F)/ PS to MoS(F)
- OSD to Secretary (Revenue)
- Chairman, CBDT & All Members, CBDT
- All Pro DOsIT/ Pro CCsIT
- All Joint Secretaries! CsITI Directorsl Deputy Secretaries/ Under Secretaries of
- The C&AO of India
- The JS & Legal Adviser, Ministry of Law & Justice, New Delhi
- PCIT (M&TP), Official Spokesperson ofCBDT
- Web manager, ADO (S)-4, 0 /0 Pro DOlT (Systems) for uploading on official website.
- JCIT (Database Cell) for uploading on http://www.irsofficersonline.gov.in