In this post, we will see how to file revised income tax return under the Income Tax Act?
When a taxpayer discovers any omission or any wrong statement in the original Income Tax Return (ITR) submitted. The same can be corrected by filing a revised return in the e-filing portal.
A Revised Return can be filed at any time
Before the end of the relevant Assessment Year
Before the completion of assessment year, which ever is earlier.
Steps to file the Revised Income Tax Return
Prepare and Submit Online ( Only for ITR-1 & ITR-4)
1. Visit the Income Tax e-Filing Portal. Click on “Login Here”
2. Login to e-Filing Portal by entering User ID (PAN), Password, Captcha Code and click “Login”.
3. Click on “Filing of Income Tax Return” from “Dashboard”
4. After that “Income Tax Return” screen will appear. Your PAN is auto-populated, Select the “Assessment Year” Select the “ITR Form Number” Select the Filing Type as “Original/ Revised Return”. Select the submission Mode as “Prepare and Submit Online”
Here you have one additional option to choose “I want to use Hindi Form to prepare and submit”.
Click on “Continue Button”
5. In the online ITR form under “Part A General Information” Tab choose the “A20. Filed u/s as select from dropdown list “139(5)-Revised”.
6. Enter the “Date of Filing” of Original return and “Acknowledgement Number/ Receipt Number”. It is auto-populated from the system, but you can edit it.
7. Fill or correct the relevant details of the online ITR form and submit the ITR.
8. The last and final step is to make sure that you “e-Verify” your IT Return. It will help in faster return processing and quicker refunds.
Prepare and Submit – Upload XML (For all ITRs)
1. Download the Income Tax Preparation Utility latest version or if you are using any software check the same is updated or not.
Note: To check the latest version of the ITR preparation utility, you need to visit the e-filing portal and find the “IT Return Preparation software” on the right sidebar, and click on it – under the “Download” section. After that check the release version like PR3.1, PR4.3, etc.
2. Extract the downloaded ITR utility into a separate folder and open it from the extracted folder.
Import the already uploaded (XML). First download the (XML), to download it visit e-filing portal and login it after that under “My Account” select “Download Pre-filled XML”
After that, PAN will be auto-populated by the system, Choose the Assessment Year for which you are filing the Return *, Choose ITR Form which you want to file * and click on the “Continue” button.
The pre-filled tax claim data is as per the details available with the e-Filing application subject to assesse’s independent verification.
3. In the “PART-A GENERAL” tab find the “Filing Status”, under “Filed u/s” select the 139(5)-Revised Return.
4. Enter the “Acknowledgement Number/ If revised/defective/modified enter receipt No” and the “Date of filing the original return (DD/MM/YYY)”. It is mandatory to enter “Acknowledgment Number”.
5. Enter the correct details and generate XML.
6. Visit the Income Tax e-Filing Portal. Click on “Login Here”. Login to the e-Filing Portal by entering User ID (PAN), Password, Captcha Code and click “Login”. Click on “Filing of Income Tax Return” from “Dashboard”
7. After that “Income Tax Return” screen will appear. Your PAN is auto-populated, Select the “Assessment Year” Select the “ITR Form Number” Select the Filing Type as “Original/ Revised Return”. Select the submission Mode as “Upload XML”
8. E-verify your return and click on “Continue” button.
Source: e-filing Website
For Latest Updates & Learning Join Our YouTube Channel: Join Now