You can view 26AS from the TRACES portal or via the e-filing portal, It can be viewed in HTML format (online) and can be downloaded in two formats i.e. 1. PDF, 2. Text.
In the case where transactions are 2000 or more, then 26AS would be available in text file only. The deductee has to place the download request.
The following steps need to be followed:
1. Visit the TRACES portal and popup will come click on continue. Click on login under the login section.
Select the Taxpayer/PAO, enter the User ID, Password, and PAN for Tax Payer / AIN for PAO* and click on the “Login” button.
Note: Before downloading form 26AS from you need to request to download form 26AS ( In the case where transactions are 2000 or more, then 26AS would be available in text file only.
2. Download the form 26AS ( Zip file will be downloaded). Right-click on that zip file and choose the option “Extract All”. The downloaded Zip file will look like this
3. Popup will come “Password needed”. Enter the password “ Date of Birth of Deductee” in DDMMYYYY format. After entering the password it will be extracted. The extracted file will look like this. In that file, there will be one text file.
4. Open that text file, Press “CTRL +A ” and copy that and paste it content into excel.
5. Select the Column A and go-to “Data” tab and press “Text to Columns” under the “Data Tools”.
6. Select the option “Delimited” and click on “Next” and tick the option “Other” and in the box insert ^ key. Click on next and finish.
7. The final file will look like this
8. You can format it like this.
After extracting it into excel file you can format it as per your need.